Friday, January 21, 2005

Its a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Or is it? You be the judge.

My kids and I enjoy Mr. Roger's Neighborhood -- its peaceful, interesting, and a generally happy show. I also love the instrumental music that plays throughout -- its very soothing and a nice way to spend half an hour. I set the VCR to tape the show because its on at mid-day and I try to avoid mid-day TV watching and lots of time we aren't home anyway.

Yesterday, as we sat down to watch the tape, I was surprised by a curious juxtaposition of images. I was expecting the opening song and Mr. Rogers smiling face to come through the door when we saw W walking across the screen with Laura instead. I hadn't realized the station was carrying the inauguration instead of regular programming. Oh well, we had earlier episodes taped, so we watched one of those instead.

We were at my mom's earlier in the day and she had the inauguration on TV. I made some commentary on W's speech a la MSK 2000, but I'd do that if it was Kerry up there.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I just had the most bizarre image flash through my mind: W as King Friday, Laura as Lady Elaine, and Condi Rice as Daniel Tiger. Sometimes it feels like the current White House is located in its own Land of Make Believe.

Marjorie said...

Sounds like wishful thinking ;-)

Thanks for your awesome comment, its so nice to know I'm not alone in my own land of make-believe!