Sunday, January 09, 2005

Bills Affecting Public Schools

As a homeschooler, I'm always intrigued by whats going on in the public schools (of which I am a product, by the way). Here are a couple of bills I found interesting.

Childhood obesity.
Summary as introduced:Childhood obesity. Requires the Board of Education to promulgate, in cooperation with the State Health Department, regulations establishing standards to ameliorate childhood obesity in the public schools. This bill also adds the improvement of school health as one of the criteria to be considered by local schools during the annual evaluation of division superintendents. Further, the bill requires division superintendents to complete instruction concerning the causes and consequences of overweight and obesity by July 1, 2006. The requirement for instruction may be satisfied by attendance at conferences, seminars, or in-service training. Senate Bill 747
Full Text

Probably not a very interesting bill, but it seems like a good first step is getting the vending machines out of the schools. I remember being in high school, you had to know where the soda machine was and go down a long hall to get it. The high school cafeteria where I vote had a few vending machines filled with candy and fattening treats.

Hmmm...was there only one? Perhaps I'll find more in my future travels in the LIS.

No comments: