Thursday, March 31, 2005

Jellybeans: Tasty Treat or Satan's Bait?

As I battle my urge for jellybeans, my mind wanders to something I read in the newspaper a few weeks ago in the Sunday Comics. There is a section for kids called Beekman and Jax, or something like that, and they were answering some kid's question about the origin and composition of jellybeans. The answer indicated that jellybeans find their genesis in two confections. The inside goo is akin to Turkish Delight. The hard outer candy coating was first enjoyed by a king in France and used to cover almonds (now known as Jordan almonds).

Well, I first heard about Turkish Delight reading C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and I didn't know what it was. Edmund, that wacky British child, was wooed and won by the White Witch who offered him Turkish Delight in exchange for information that lead to the whereabouts of his siblings. Though he was not aware of it, intoxicated by the sweetness of the candy, he was betraying his family and it was the Witch's intention to kill them all. This betrayal was punishable by death. When the White Witch (I.e. Satan) called him on it, Aslan (I.e. Christ) steps in to offer himself as a substitionary atonement for Edmund's sin. Thus, Turkish Delight is Satan's Bait.

What about the hard outer shell? The king who so enjoyed his almonds with this coating was Louis the XIV, not known for being a great humanitarian.

I finallly chucked the open bag of sour jellybeans, but not until I had scarfed down a bunch more.

I think its time for me to go back to church.

No comments: