Saturday, July 24, 2004

My philosophy

I don't want to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do -- well, except maybe my husband.  Seriously, though, I don't want to have power plays and fights with those I care about [or, for that matter, those I don't care about].  Also, I don't like calling people and asking them to volunteer for whatever project I'm working on -- I recently bowed out of a volunteer gig where I would be seeking and coordinating other volunteers -- I hate trying to talk people into doing things they aren't inclined to do -- especially if I'm asking them to do things I don't want to do.

As far as the application of this to my children, this is why I'm drawn to unschooling/relaxed homeschooling.  I believe that intrinsic personal motivation is the best kind of motivation and the best way to learn and live.  I also believe this is in keeping with the principle of free will given to us by God -- so there is definitely a spiritual dimension to this philosophy.

I see my 4 year old learning so much by being in a rich educational environment -- her home -- filled with interesting things she is free to explore.  She knows how to count and is always learning by looking at books and using household manipulatives to sort, etc.  She learned to read without lessons -- just by being read to and by looking at books at her leisure. 

No comments: