Monday, July 19, 2004

In the beginning...

Well, here I am, now I all I have to do is think of something to say... I'll start with a quote

"But, of course, those of us who understand life couldn't care less about numbers!"
-- The Little Prince, Antoine de St. Exupery

What numbers? Test scores, grades, achievement awards, salaries, house prices/sizes...

I have two preschool-age children. I'm married to a wonderful man. I live in a nice house in an affluent suburb -- I guess we qualify as affluent generally, but we're not nearly as affluent as some of my friends. Most people seem to have affluenza, actually -- this is a term I read in the newspaper, its not my own, but it really applies. So much of life seems to be taken up in the pursuit of status and acquisition of material things... This is why I'm an unclimber, I'm hanging out on my ledge of the mountain, not at the top, not at the bottom. I've climbed to a pretty nice spot and I'm staying. Its sort of fun to watch the other climbers, yeah, sometimes I feel superior to them, but I know they feel superior to me, so its a wash... In the end, I know I can't feel superior to them without losing some of my unclimber consciousness, so I must simply respect their climb and enjoy my perch.