Friday, February 10, 2006

Rethinking Homeschooling

After reading this article in today's Washington Post, I'm very concerned that I'm denying my daughters important socialization lessons by homeschooling them. I was especially bothered by this:

In the affluent McLean elementary school where she used to work, girls judged one another on whether they had a new Louis Vuitton bag.

How will my daughters ever succeed in the world, let alone get ahead, if they aren't exposed to this? I've got to stop coddling them.

In other news, drugging your kids may have a downside. Who knew? Well, maybe its not so bad.
[A] spokeswoman for the advocacy group Children and Adults With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, cautioned that patients should not be alarmed by the warning.

I might add that smokers should pay no attention to those little warnings on the side of a pack of cigarettes. Its alarmist and for some people nicotine is an important part of a very effective treatment for the rigors of modern life.

"[Patients] should definitely not stop taking their [ADHD] medications," she said. "They should consult with their clinician if they have questions, but for so many people these medications are an important part of a very effective treatment."

And for many pharmaceutical companies, they are an important part of an effective shareholder return. I wonder if there is any connection between advocacy groups and pharmaceutical companies? Probably not.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Its good to see a good dose of cynacism in ya Marjorie! Sarcasm is good for the soul.